I love us :)

I love us :)

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Feeling crafty

Every Christmas I want to decorate more but I never do. This year I made some things! Yay. I painted the sign on our door and put tons of glitter on it. Glitter makes everything better (but next time I will buy something pre-painted - this took me 2 hours and I had to stand up so that Bryn couldn't get her grubby little fingers on it!). And I made this wreath out of stuff from the dollar store and it cost less than $5. I think it turned out pretty cute for being so dang cheap!
And this is an idea that I saw on Martha Stewart and then I modified it a little. It is an advent calendar, which for those who don't know (like my husband and I had to explain it 5 times before he got it) is a countdown to Christmas. Each number is actually the lid to some paper mache boxes that I got at Hobby Lobby and then glittered. Then I glued some magnets to the backs and stuck them to a magnetic dry erase board. You open a box a day (on Dec 1st you open the "1" box, on the second you open the "2" box and so on). You fill them with little toys, candy, a scripture or something fun. I loved these when I was little. Every day I was so excited to open the next box and find what was in there. So I made my own. This wasn't so cheap of a project but it will last for years. I feel so crafty!
I am then going to glitter the edge of the dry erase board and for the rest of the year it can be a sparkly edition to Bryn's bedroom door.

3 comments:

AC and Lola said...

"Glitter makes everything better". LOL! I love that. True statement for sure. :)

Way cute projects! I wish I had more time to do stuff like that!! :D

Jamie W. said...

Oh my gosh such a great Idea. I was going to make one out of a cupboard door and put nails and hang christmas socks. I haven't gotten around to it (of course) I love the boxes and glitter very pretty. I might have to steal your idea and make one for each of my kiddos.

said...

Those are really cute! Awesome job! I always say I want to be more crafty next year as well. Mabey next year when I don't have new born :-)